Thursday, January 24, 2013

A Perfect Indulgence - Cocoa Toast

Last winter I met a beautiful lady who taught me one of the best little indulgences. Cocoa toast.

Ah-hah! I said, I know what that is. I grew up making a piece of hot buttered toast cut into fingers for dunking in a cup of hot chocolate. Nope.

This is better. Way better.

Generously butter a piece of bread. I prefer to use homemade bread or a good rustic bread. Don't skimp on the butter, it should be thick on the surface.

Sprinkle with cocoa powder. A sugar/flour shaker works great. I do this over the sink for easy clean-up.

Next, sprinkle with sugar - regular, demerara, turbinado, or raw sugar, or my favorite, a cinnamon sugar mix.

Broil until bubbling and caramelizing. A toaster oven is perfect for this.

Although it doesn't show up in this picture, the topping was still bubbling. That's why it's important not to skimp on the butter, there needs to be enough to help caramelize the topping.

A steaming cup of Celestial Seasoning's Nutcracker Sweet with a bit of sugar and milk and a piece of cocoa toast for the perfect mid-morning indulgence.

Thank you Marilyn!